Ready to excel in a virtual high school? As an increasing number of students are proving, you can successfully navigate the challenges of online school. According to one statistic, more than 400,000 K-12 American students have taken or are taking at least one online course.
Of course, part of that success requires maintaining great study habits — just as you would in a traditional school. But you also need to make sure you’re taking the steps to adjust to a much more flexible learning environment.
Here are 5 important steps that will ensure your success as a student in an online high school.
- Prepare your environment. Your online school should give you plenty of guidance about what you need to get started for your school year. More than likely, that instruction will include specifications on computer equipment, books, and other materials. To further prepare, designate a quiet area that will be your study/classroom. Make sure it is free from clutter and distractions.
- Set expectations. Speaking of distractions, make sure you’re minimizing them by having a talk with the people who live with you — including siblings, parents and other family members. Help them understand the importance of high school and your need for structure and quiet time.
- Take it seriously. The flexibility of attending school from the comfort of home and in your PJs can pose some difficulties for those who struggle with discipline. Avoid the temptation to lie in bed too long, surf the Internet, or play videogames when you’re scheduled for class or study time. Practice staying focused at designated times of the day.
- Speak up. In a virtual school, your teachers are not standing 10 to 15 feet in front of you; yet, that shouldn’t deter you from developing a great relationship with them. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to ask either during class or via email or phone calls.
- Be adventurous. Make the flexibility of an online school education work to your advantage. Get a bit adventurous by proposing ways that you can make your lessons come alive. Are you taking an art history or astronomy class? Visit a nearby art museum or a planetarium so you can incorporate your experiences in your studies.
As you explore all the possibilities offered by an online education, make sure that you’re taking the steps to maximize the experience. Through preparation, you can set yourself up for a successful outcome.