If it’s been years since you missed out on the opportunity to get your high school diploma, you may wonder, “What’s the point?” More than likely, plenty has happened since that time. Maybe you have a job, a family, responsibilities and other challenges that make it difficult to think about getting your high school diploma.
After all, couldn’t you just get an HSE? You could, but getting a high school diploma may not be as difficult as you think. Additionally, the benefits you gain could be significant – especially when you consider the long-term benefits.
Take a look at 6 reasons you should consider earning your high school diploma.
1. Better career opportunities. This is typically the main reason many people pursue a high school diploma. It can serve as the foundation for the rest of your life. When compared with gaining a HSE (a high school equivalency diploma), earning a high school diploma puts you ahead. Not only will it set you up for the possibility of attending college at a later date, but it also puts you at an advantage with employers.
2. Higher pay. While the numbers may vary depending upon your job, it’s clear that the more education you obtain, the better your chances to earn more income. According to the Economic Policy Institute, those with a high school diploma earned about $4 more per hour than those without a high school diploma.
Another study also showed that a HSE, in many cases, didn’t do much to boost a salary. For an overall comparison, high school dropouts earned $21,080 in 2012 (the last year for the study), compared to $28,309 for high school graduates and $50,734 for college graduates.
It’s important to note the significant difference earning a college degree can make. If you get your high school diploma, consider the opportunity to attend college – whether as a traditional or online student.
3. Most colleges prefer a high school diploma. Thinking about the next step for your future? After looking at the salary comparisons, perhaps you should take the next step. While some higher institutions accept HSE for admission, all colleges and universities generally prefer a high school diploma to be considered for admission. It’s never too late to continue your education. Study your options carefully and seek advice from counselors at your online school or local college.
4. An education improves your skills. Sometimes it’s easy to forget the main benefits of high school. You’re gaining life skills and practical skills that help you succeed in the workplace and at home. A high school diploma represents the hard work you put into your learning experiences. It’s important not to underestimate the power of your education.
5. Less risk of being unemployed. Finish your high school diploma if you want a better chance at getting a job. As of December 2017, unemployment rates in the United States hovered around 4.1 percent. When compared to previous years unemployment rates continue to improve.
However, the unemployment rate varies significantly depending upon your education level. According to the 2017 Bureau of Labor statistics, the unemployment rate for college graduates was only 2.5 percent, compared to 5.3 percent for a high school graduate and 7.7 percent for those who had less than a high school degree.
6. Earning a high school diploma is easier than it was in the past. There could be a number of reasons why you think earning a high school diploma could be difficult. But with the ability to attend online high school – without ever leaving your home, it’s more convenient than ever and can pave the way to a better future.
No matter which of these 6 reasons matter most to you, earning a high school diploma can make a significant difference in your life – both now and in the future. Contact us to learn more about your opportunities to earn a high school diploma online with Achieve Virtual.